Big Data Management and Analytics (WS 2021/22)
- The course will be offered offline (live lecture and exercises in the lecture halls)
- Lecture and exercise records from last year will be published on moodle
- The primary platform for lectures and exercises is moodle, you will get the enrollment key in the first lecture. Registrations (both for exams and the course) are via Uni2Work.
- Umfang: 3+2 hours weekly (equals 6 ECTS)
- Lecture: Prof. Dr. Matthias Schubert
- Assistants: Michael Fromm, Philipp Jahn
- Required: Lecture "Database Systems I" or equivalent
- Beneficial: Lecture "Knowledge Discovery in Databases I" or equivalent
- Audience: The lecture is directed towards Bachelor students (5th term) and Master students in Mediainformatics, Bioinformatics, and Informatics
- Registration: Uni2Work
Time and Locations
All times are c.t. (cum tempore)
|Lecture||Tue, 13.00 - 16.00 h||Schellingstr. 3 (S), S 004||19.10.2021|
|Tutorial 1||Wed, 16.00 - 18.00 h||Schellingstr. 3 (R), R 306||27.10.2021|
|Tutorial 2||Wed, 18.00 - 20.00 h||Schellingstr. 3 (R), R 303||27.10.2021|
|Tutorial 3||Thu, 14.00 - 16.00 h||Richard-Wagner-Str. 10, D 114||28.10.2021|
|Tutorial 4||Thu, 16.00 - 18.00 h||Richard-Wagner-Str. 10, D 114||28.10.2021|
In almost all areas of business, industry, science, and everybody's life, the amount of available data that contains value and knowledge is immense and fast growing. However, turning data into information, information into knowledge, and knowledge into value is challenging.To extract the knowledge, the data needs to be stored, managed, and analyzed. Thereby, we not only have to cope with increasing amount of data, but also with increasing velocity, i.e., data streamed in high rates, with heterogeneous data sources and also more and more have to take data quality and reliability of data and information into account. These properties referring to the four V's (Volume, Velocity, Variety, and Veracity) are the key properties of "Big Data". Big Data grows faster than our ability to process the data, so we need new architectures, algorithms and approaches for managing, processing, and analyzing Big Data that goes beyond traditional concepts for knowledge discovery and data mining.
This course introduces Big Data, challenges associated with Big Data, and basic concepts for Big Data Management and Big Data Analytics which are important components in the new and popular field Data Science.