Managing Massive Multiplayer Online Games (SS 2019)
- All students with family names starting with A - N are in room C 123, and all students whose family name starts with O - Z are in room B 052. Don't forget to bring a valid ID (or passport) and your student identity card. Please also check the guidelines for the exam.
- The second tutorial might be in room M118 instead of A120 today, 3rd July.
- Course: 3+2 hours weekly (equals 6 ECTS)
- Lecture: Prof. Dr. Matthias Schubert
- Assistant: Felix Borutta
- Beneficial: Lecture "Knowledge Discovery in Databases I" or "Machine Learning" or other data analytics methods
- Audience: The course is directed towards master students in informatics and media informatics
- Video lectures:The video of course can be found at here.
Time and Locations
All times are c.t. (cum tempore)
|Lecture||Tue, 13,00 - 16,00 h||Room M 105 (HGB)||23.04.2019|
|Tutorial 1||Wed, 14,00 - 16,00 h||Room D Z003 (HGB)||08.05.2019|
|Tutorial 2||Wed, 16,00 - 18,00 h||Room A 120 (HGB)||08.05.2019|
A massive multiplayer online game (MMOG) is a virtual environment which players visit for entertainment. It is often played by thousands of players at the same time and allows huge varieties of player interactions. The course treats questions of how to implement and design MMOGs in order to scale with the players while keeping the game experience on an interactive or even real-time level. This includes spatial management, client-server communication, persistency and consistences of virtual environments hosting the MMOG. A further important aspect of online games is monitoring the player experience and evaluate success strategies. This task is done by Game Analytics methods. Finally, the lecture gives an outlook on artifical intelligence which can be used to improve player interaction, develop challenging computer components or simply make the interaction with the virtual environment more interesting.
The main exam is on Thu 01.08.2019 12-2PM and will take place in Theresienstraße 39, rooms C123 and B052. If you want to take the exam, please register until 26.07.2019 via UniWorx.