- Vertretung der Professur Data Science durch Prof. Dr. Matthias Schubert
- Prof. Kriegel als 2016 Top 10 Most Influential Scholar genannt
- Website zum Elite Studiengang Data Science ist online
- DASFAA 2016 10-Year Best Paper Award
- Peer Kröger zum apl. Professor ernannt
- Lehrstuhlvertretung durch Prof. Dr. Matthias Renz im Wintersemester 2015/16
- more ...
Department of Computer Science
Database Systems Group
Prof. Dr. Christian Böhm, Extraordinarius
Prof. Dr. Hans-Peter Kriegel (em.)
Prof. Dr. Volker Tresp, Honorarprofessor
Prof. Dr. Peer Kröger (apl.)
In modern information systems, the sheer amount as well as the complexity of the stored data are increasing at a high rate. This trend is known as Big Data in industry or Data-intensive (Analysis-driven) Science in academia. To search and analyze these large amounts of complex objects, Data Mining and Complex Search, such as similarity search, offer new possibilities to maximize the utilization of available information.
Among other topics, our group is well-known for the development of various
algorithms and access structures for high-dimensional indexing like the R*-tree,
X-Tree or the IQ-Tree. In the area of data mining, the members of our group
contributed various algorithms and methods such as DBSCAN, OPTICS or LOF
which are among the state-of-the-art solutions for clustering and outlier detection.
We also host the Data Science Lab at the LMU München.
Some of our current research projects are:
- Clustering and Outlier Detection in high-dimensional data
- Query Processing in Uncertain Databases
- Efficient Similarity Search and Data Mining in Medical Image Data
- Database and Search Technologies in Automotive Environments